How to Care for Silk ClothingMarch 28, 2018 9:05 pm Leave your thoughts
Silk is the perfect fabric for both men and women. The soft material is ideal for high-end designer wear, an office wardrobe or even a casual ensemble. Unfortunately, many people tend to be scared off from delicate fabrics like silk and cashmere, as they believe they require intensive care to look good. In reality, silk can easily be cared for both at home and with the help of a laundry service in Scottsdale, AZ.
However, silk does take a bit of special handling to keep this elegant fabric in top condition. Follow these tips below to make sure your silk clothing items always look well kept:
- Test for colorfastness: Even the most beautiful silk clothing can fade over time. Protect the original color by testing the colorfastness prior to washing. Use a cloth or q-tip to dab an inconspicuous area, such as the seam, to determine how well the color will hold. Any bleeding should serve as a warning sign that the garment needs to be taken to a professional for cleaning. Washing the item at home could lead to additional fading.
- Be gentle: Silk doesn’t need a harsh detergent packed with strong chemicals. Using these cleaning products on the material can damage the fabric. Instead, use a mild detergent for the best results.
- Follow the care label: Follow the care label instructions exactly. Pay special attention to whether the fabric needs to be hand washed or if special drying is required. If the tag says “dry clean only,” it is critical that the fabric only be cleaned by a professional laundry service in Scottsdale, AZ.
- Store carefully: Storage is key to keeping a silk shirt or dress looking sharp. Hang silk items in a closet on fuzzy hangers to keep the garment from slipping onto the floor. Hang pants across the legs to avoid causing accidental wrinkling and creases. Take special care to thoroughly clean any silk clothing items before stashing them away during the offseason, as moths love snacking on the natural fiber.
- Treat stains properly: The best option with silk is to always wash the entire item instead of attempting to spot treat stains. Take it to a dry cleaner if the stain won’t seem to budge after being washed at home.
- Dry smart: The quickest way to ruin an article of clothing made out of silk is by throwing it in the dryer or wringing it out to remove excess water. Instead, use a towel to blot the fabric before hanging it up to air dry. Avoid hanging it up in the sun, as sunlight can cause fading.
- Dry clean regularly: The best way to keep maintain the attractive appearance of silk is to regularly take it to the dry cleaners. A dry cleaning specialist will carefully clean the item using special techniques and solvents developed specifically for the sensitive nature of silk.
Silk clothing doesn’t have to be a burden with the help of Organic Dry Cleaners and Laundry. Call us today to learn more about our laundry service in Scottsdale, AZ, including our free laundry pickup and delivery!
Categorised in: Laundry Service
This post was written by Writer