It happens to just about everyone: you purchase a brand new article of clothing, wear it out to dinner, to work or around the house, and suddenly, an accidental stain appears. Stains are a headache to deal with and can ruin a piece of clothing if not treated quickly or appropriately.
Since these incidences are so common, it’s much easier and more cost-effective to effectively remove stains at home than to purchase new clothing each time something gets soiled. Or, for tougher stains and more delicate garments, you might want to consider using a service for laundry pickup and delivery in Scottsdale, AZ.
Regardless of whether you want to completely remove stains at home or use a laundry service, you should know how to treat stains immediately after they happen for the best results. Follow some of these tips to ensure your stains come out quickly and easily, leaving you with fresh-looking garments long after you buy them!
General stain-removal rules
It’s extremely important to act quickly and treat stains immediately to prevent them from setting, which is when the stain forms a chemical bond with the fabric. Stains that have set are much more difficult, if not impossible, to remove, so you should take steps right away to start the stain removal process.
The best way to begin treating a stain is with water; soak the stain with water right away, then apply an absorbent like salt or talcum powder. If you have the appropriate solvents to use on your particular fabric type, apply the solvent from the inside of the garment to draw stains toward the surface. Lay the garment face down on a paper towel so the stain has something to soak into.
You may decide to gently dab at the stain, but it’s important to remember to avoid using lots of pressure or scrubbing motions; these actions can press the stain in further or spread it around. Additionally, avoid using heat on the stain, as this can speed up the bonding process between the stain and your fabric. Always use lukewarm or cold water when treating stains.
Removing common stains
Different stains may require different types of solvents to remove them. The trick to lifting stains is to know what solvent will dissolve a particular type of stain on a particular type of fabric. Here’s how to remove some of the most common stains:
- Blood: For blood stains, immediately rinse the stain with cold water, then soak in lukewarm water and detergent for approximately 10 minutes. Household ammonia can be used to spot treat, if necessary.
- Coffee: Soak coffee stains with lukewarm water, then gently dab at the stain with detergent or diluted vinegar. Then, wash the garment in the hottest possible water and repeat the process until the stain is removed.
- Sweat: Yellowed armpit or sweat stains should be washed out using hot water and laundry detergent. For extremely yellowed stains, soak the garment in warm water and then let it sit with an absorbent like salt.
- Wine: Rinse the stain with warm water immediately, then let it stand after applying salt. Next, rinse out the salt and dab detergent on the stain, letting the garment lay face down on a paper towel to allow the stain to soak out.
- Grease or machine oil: Immediately soak the stained garment in a mix of warm water and laundry detergent. Remove the garment from the soak and apply more detergent directly onto the stain, leaving it face down on a paper towel, repeating the process as necessary.
Remember that certain fabrics might be damaged by some solvents, so always check the garment tag to see what type of fabric it is made out of and test a solvent on the inside of your garment to ensure it will work appropriately before applying.
Of course, rather than tackling tough clothing stains yourself, you can always leave stain removal to the professionals! When you utilize a service that offers laundry pickup and delivery in Scottsdale, AZ, all of your stains will vanish with barely any work required of you!
If you need help removing tough stains, visit Organic Dry Cleaners and Laundry. For over 25 years, our full-service company has offered customers top-quality service using all-organic, non-toxic, hydrocarbon solvents. We even offer laundry pickup and delivery in Scottsdale, AZ. Visit us today!
Categorised in: Laundry Pickup and Delivery
This post was written by Writer